Quantcast
Advertisement

IG to review military handling of sexual assault complaints

The Defense Department’s Office of the Inspector General is set to examine whether military investigations into sexual assault complaints comply with department guidelines.

In a Dec. 20 memorandum issued to the services, the IG stated that it would again seek to evaluate how well military criminal investigation organizations respond to sexual assault claims.

The investigative scope will center on investigations concluded in 2013. The review will determine if military “policies and procedures” comply with DOD and service guidelines and are carried out to conclusion.

The IG memo did not state what prompted this latest review, but with the military under enormous pressure to eliminate sexual assault within the ranks, such evaluations have become fairly routine.

In July, the IG issued a report after conducting a similar evaluation of how military sexual assault investigators handled cases in 2010. That report found that 89 percent of sexual assault investigations met or exceeded standards. The remaining 11 percent of cases were deemed to have “significant deficiencies” and were returned to the services for “corrective action,” according to the IG.
 

Join the conversation and share your voice.

Show Comments

 
Advertisement
Advertisement
Follow Stripes Central on Twitter

Or, follow us on Facebook