Date, site changes for Far East high school spring sports tournaments
Word about this circulated around the Pacific for weeks, but now, the tale officially can be told: There will be some changes to the DODDS Pacific Far East high school spring sports tournament calendar. Here’s the new lineup:
- Track and field, May 20-22, Yokota High School, Japan.
- Division I baseball, May 23-25, hosted by Yokota, played at Yokota Park.
- Division II baseball, May 23-25, hosted by Zama American, played at Bandy Field, Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan.
- Division I and II softball, May 20-22, hosted by Nile C. Kinnick, played at MacArthur and King Fields, Atsugi.
Billeting and field issues triggered the changes. Zama was supposed to host both baseball tournaments, but Camp Zama’s Rambler Field is still under construction and not available for Far East. And with baseball and softball running concurrently at Atsugi, not enough billeting was available to accommodate all events.
Yokota offered to host the D-I baseball, as long as track could start a day earlier than its originally scheduled May 21 opening date.
Thus, the softball and track will go first at their respective sites. As those athletes check out of billeting, baseball players will check in and those tournaments will follow.
Soccer tournaments remain as originally scheduled:
- Division I boys soccer, May 20-23, hosted by Kadena, played at Ryukyu Middle School, Okinawa.
- Division I girls soccer, May 20-23, hosted by Kinnick, played at Berkey Field, Yokosuka Naval Base, Japan.
- Division II boys soccer, May 20-23, hosted by Matthew C. Perry, Japan, to be played at sites to be determined.
- Division II girls soccer, May 20-23, hosted by Robert D. Edgren, played at Hillside Stadium and Edgren’s Eagles Field, Misawa Air Base, Japan.